8 & Under
Practice Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS) like running, swimming or jumping. Also introduce the ABC’s of athleticism:
ABC’s - Agility, Balance & Coordination and Speed.
Focus on flexibility during this stage.
This is the first window for speed training with an emphasis on agility, quickness and change of direction. Less than 5 seconds in duration.
Once a week, prior to or after practice, spend 30 minutes off-ice working on the Fundamental Movement Skills and the ABC’s. This can be done through games and challenging activities. Keep it fun!
Play multiple sports and engage in activities like soccer, running, gymnastics, swimming, skiing or other activities 75% of the time and play hockey the other 25%.
Group players into top 1/3, middle 1/3, beginner 1/3.
30 – 60 players each practice session
2-3 ice touches per week
50 min ice sessions
5 month’s = 20 weeks per season maximum
50 to 60 ice touches per season
Min 16 cross ice/half-ice games & 34 practices
Max 20 cross ice/half-ice games & 40 practices
9 to 13 players/team; no fulltime goalies
Click to see full image
8U ADM Specifics
8U Full Guidebook
8U Implementation Guide
Proud Partners In Hockey
National Hockey League
US Olympic Committee
Connect with USA Hockey
Follow USA Hockey on Facebook
Follow USA Hockey on Twitter
Follow USA Hockey on YouTube
This website is powered by SportsEngine's
Sports Relationship Management
©2021 SportsEngine, Inc.