8 & Under
- Practice Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS) like running, swimming or jumping. Also introduce the ABC’s of athleticism:
- ABC’s - Agility, Balance & Coordination and Speed.
- Focus on flexibility during this stage.
- This is the first window for speed training with an emphasis on agility, quickness and change of direction. Less than 5 seconds in duration.
- Once a week, prior to or after practice, spend 30 minutes off-ice working on the Fundamental Movement Skills and the ABC’s. This can be done through games and challenging activities. Keep it fun!
- Play multiple sports and engage in activities like soccer, running, gymnastics, swimming, skiing or other activities 75% of the time and play hockey the other 25%.
- Group players into top 1/3, middle 1/3, beginner 1/3.
- 30 – 60 players each practice session
- 2-3 ice touches per week
- 50 min ice sessions
- 5 month’s = 20 weeks per season maximum
- 50 to 60 ice touches per season
- Min 16 cross ice/half-ice games & 34 practices
- Max 20 cross ice/half-ice games & 40 practices
- 9 to 13 players/team; no fulltime goalies
Click to see full image